From its broadcast origins to its use on some of the best-selling, most enduring records of all time, the V76 preamp has played a pivotal supporting role in the story of pop music.
Loved by the engineers and technicians, and incorporated into the iconic REDD mixing consoles, the V76 coveted for that “White Album” sound, every major studio in the world wanted a piece of the action, and tens of thousands of Telefunken preamps were created to meet the demand.
These days, due to scarcity and cost, it’s practically impossible for most musicians and producers to pick up one of these legendary preamps. In the same way Arturia built its reputation on recreating legendary, rare synths and keyboards through advanced modelling, we decided to use our TAE® technology to give everyone the chance to experience that legendary V76 sound.
By studying its sound and design, right down to the subtleties of each electronic component, we have created a virtual preamp that brings quintessential vintage tone to a whole new generation of musicians.
Vintage sound with today’s technology
... how does a software preamp work? My audio interface already has preamps, what difference will it make?
Simply put, preamps were originally created to make signals louder. They would take a low-powered audio signal - from a microphone or instrument, for example - and amplify them so that they were the strong enough for mixing, while minimizing any added noise. North West German Radio were early pioneers of this technology, creating high quality preamps for broadcasting. Enhancing NWGR’s design, Telefunken produced the V72, which later evolved into the studio-focused V76, and became a staple in studios around the world.
Fast forward 70 years, and the pro audio industry has changed a little. Superbly transparent, low noise, affordable preamps are included in almost every audio interface. However, the subtle tonal shift that vintage preamps gave to the audio they treated, especially vacuum-tube designs like the V76, are missing today.
We wanted to give you the best of both worlds: the ability to color the sound of your modern recorded audio and virtual instruments with the iconic tone of classic studio gear.
Cracking the code
Pro audio equipment doesn’t become legendary without a story to tell. To say the legacy of the Telefunken V series preamp is huge would be an understatement.
Its rich tone and huge creative potential made it an integral part of Abbey Road’s setup at arguably the most pivotal point in their history. Despite being known as the go-to microphone preamp for radio broadcast and studio use, and first-choice mastering amplifier, working V76 units are hard to come by. Fortunately for us, we were able to start and end our quest for ultimate tube-tone in France.
At Question De Son, a highly-esteemed recording studio in Paris’ 10th arrondissement, we were able to study an original, sequential pair of V76/80 preamps. Models 4754 had 4755 have been in active service for 70 years, and made the perfect subjects for our study.
We didn’t just want to create a carbon copy, but rather give you the best elements of Telefunken’s sonic signature. For example, made the gain controls continuous for more precise control, removed the seldom-used “broadcast utility” 3kHz low-pass switch, and refined the boost and cut range of the V612 EQ, giving you studio tools that are more usable for the modern musician.
Thanks to the tireless efforts of Arturia’s research, modelling, and development teams, you too can include the tone of the fabled V76 preamp and V612 equalizer into your DAW setup.
It’s fair to say that since the original unit was built, the music industry has seen some changes. To bring this legend up to date, we’ve also included some optional enhancements to make the most of your DAW.
- EQ bypass Pretty self-explanatory, this simple switch activates or deactivates the EQ section of Pre V76 on one or both channels.
- Automatic Gain control As you raise the gain, the output level is automatically adjusted, giving you a consistent, reliable perceived audio level. Now you can be sure that the changes you make sound great because they improve the tone, not just because it makes everything louder.
- Phase Inversion A handy little utility that flips the polarity of one or both channels, great for correcting phasing issues or giving you voicing options.
- Stereo Link Link both channels so that any changes to the EQ or gain structure affect both channels at once. Disabled, you can make discrete changes to each channel for maximum creative control.
Last but not least, Pre V76 features a beautifully rendered GUI. Not only does it bring your DAW back to life, it also gives you useful feedback. For example, the level indicators will glow with background tube warmth with no signal, shine green with low signal, orange at optimum “reference” level, and red with peaks at -1dBFS.
- Virtual recreation of vintage German valve preamp
- 73 dB virtual continuous input gain
- +/- 24 dB Output trim level
- Germanium EQ & filter section emulation
- Include bypass & phase Inversion switch
- High Tone Filter
- High Shelf band
- +/- 10dB gain
- 5kHz fixed frequency
- Low Tone Filter
- Low Shelf band
- +/- 10dB gain
- 100Hz fixed frequency
- High Pass Filter
- Cut frequency at 80Hz, 300Hz and 80+300Hz for steeper slope
- 1 & 2 channels plugin versions
- 3 stereo modes
- Stereo Link
- Dual Mono Channels
- Mid/side (M/S) encoding-decoding for advanced stereo processing
- Vintage glowing output meter
- 3 sensibility mode (-18dBFs, -12dBS, -8 dBFs)
- Analog clipping indicated by bright red color
- Comprehensive set of presets
- State-of-the-art TAE® analog modeling
- Win 7+ PC: 4 GB RAM; 2 GHz CPU.
1GB free hard disk space
OpenGL 2.0 compatible GPU
- 10.10+: 4 GB RAM; 2 GHz CPU.
1GB free hard disk space
OpenGL 2.0 compatible GPU
VST 2.4 (64-bit), VST 3 (64-bit), AAX (64 bits with PT 11), Audio Unit (64-bit), NKS* (64-bit DAWs only).Protection
The software is protected by the Arturia Software Center.
Following checkout you will receive a Paypal invoice if your order is in stock or readily available with the manufacturer. Your Paypal account , credit card or debit card will not be charged if your order is not in stock or available with the manufacturer. In stock orders are shipped within 1-2 business days (FEDEX tracking details provided). Un-stocked orders require a special order from the manufacturer and ship within 7-10 business days.
To ensure 100% customer satisfaction , we offer a 14 day return policy and price matching. Our knowledgeable staff are here to help with queries you may have about the . Contact our experts to find the best product to suit your style or request more information.
- Buy products with confidence.
- We ship to all major regions in Australia.
- Return to base repair or replacement (1 Year return to base).
- Please contact us for detailed information about our terms , conditions and warranty.
AudioBuy Australia ship all stocked orders Monday to Friday. All online orders are carefully packed and insured before dispatch. Our customers are very important to us and we will work with you until final delivery to ensure you're completely satisfied.