What made the KU3A special? It combined the smooth ribbon sound of a 44 with a unidirectional pattern, a wide sweet spot and less proximity bass boost. It expanded an engineer’s range of placement choices and became a standard at film studios around the world.
Although condenser mics became the new standard by the end of the 1960s, ribbon mics are still appreciated today by experienced music recording engineers. However the KU3A is a rare microphone, a collector’s item, and few studios or rental houses own them. Opportunities to work with a good KU3A are limited.
We are proud to expand your opportunities with the AEA KU4 featuring an RCA ribbon, interchangeable KU3A parts and consistent performance.
AEA KU4 Unidirectional Ribbon Microphone Features
- Contemporary realization of the RCA KU3A classic
- Supercardioid pattern for excellent rear rejection
- Reduced proximity effect
- Smooth, high-bandwidth frequency response
- Authentic New Old Stock RCA ribbon material
- High-quality anodized & nickel-plated finish
- Custom AEA transformer, neodymium magnets
- Consistent Quality
- Field-tech replaceable ribbon assembly
- Hand-crafted in Pasadena, California
The KU4’s suppressed rear lobe is useful when the back of a figure-of-eight would pick up undesirable sounds. The KU4’s reduced proximity bass boost facilitates closer micing and its low-tuned ribbon delivers solid, undistorted bass. These characteristics make the KU4 well suited for modern studio production.
Its lightly-tensioned, ultra low mass ribbon has a frequency response out to 40 kHz and fast, accurate transients. There is no upper midrange ringing common to large condenser mics. The KU4’s ribbon is well protected and its field-tech replaceable pole piece and ribbon assembly is a real convenience if an accident occurs.
The KU4 is your ticket to discovering why the KU3A has been part of high-end studio life for over 60 years. AEA is honored to play a part in its history, and invites you to listen to the KU4 and claim your part of this legacy.
AEA KU4 Unidirectional Ribbon Microphone Specifications
Operating Principle: Velocity microphone
- Frequency Response: Below 30 Hz to above 20 kHz
- Maximum SPL: 140 + dB SPL above 200Hz for 1% third harmonic
- Output Sensitivity: 2.8 mV/Pa into unloaded circuit
- Output Impedance: 300 Ω nominal
- Recommended Load: 1.2 KΩ or greater
- Phantom power: Not required or recommended
- Polarity: Pin 2 high for positive pressure at the front of the microphone.
- Connector: XLR-3M wired to a 1.5 meter captive cable
- Polar Pattern: Supercardioid
- Relative Output at 180° (dB): -12
- Angle of Maximum Rejection: 135°
- Ribbon Thickness: 1.8 microns ( .0000018 meter ) of pure aluminum
- Ribbon Width: 0.082” (2.1 mm)
- Ribbon Length: 1.25” (28.6 mm)
- Included: Custom storage/shipping case, stand adapter, manual and
- attached 1.5 meter microphone cable
Following checkout you will receive a Paypal invoice if your order is in stock or readily available with the manufacturer. Your Paypal account , credit card or debit card will not be charged if your order is not in stock or available with the manufacturer. In stock orders are shipped within 1-2 business days (FEDEX tracking details provided). Un-stocked orders require a special order from the manufacturer and ship within 7-10 business days.
To ensure 100% customer satisfaction , we offer a 14 day return policy and price matching. Our knowledgeable staff are here to help with queries you may have about the . Contact our experts to find the best product to suit your style or request more information.
- Buy products with confidence.
- We ship to all major regions in Australia.
- Return to base repair or replacement (1 Year return to base).
- Please contact us for detailed information about our terms , conditions and warranty.
AudioBuy Australia ship all stocked orders Monday to Friday. All online orders are carefully packed and insured before dispatch. Our customers are very important to us and we will work with you until final delivery to ensure you're completely satisfied.